Friday, October 31, 2008

At the sports desk: college football weekly picks

I was unbeaten last week, and my upset special was meant to be Georgia over LSU--got it right.
Let's see how I do this week:

ALABAMA vs Arkansas St. Big shock--I like the Tide to continue to roll in this breather game.
PICK: 'BAMA.

BYU vs COLORADO STATE. The Cougars escaped last week's upset bid by UNLV; I think they'll right themselves even further vs the Rams, who just don't seem to have the firepower to win a game like this. PICK: COUGARS.

Florida vs. Georgia. Ah, the annual world's-largest-outdoor-cocktail-party game, in Jacksonville. I see Florida is favored. But I really liked what I saw from Georgia last week, on the road at LSU, a hard place to win. I suspect Richt has the Gators' number. UPSET PICK: BULLDOGS.

LSU vs Tulane. A chance for the Tigers to get well for a week against their undermanned in-state foe. PICK: LSU.

MICHIGAN STATE vs Wisconsin. MSU got well last week against the down-on-their-luck-this-year Wolverines; I have a hard time seeing the wildly-inconsistent Badgers winning this one on the road. PICK: SPARTANS.

MINNESOTA vs Northwestern. Wow, what a story are the Gophers; they won only one game all last year; this year, so far, they've lost only one, while winning 7. A tough, opportunistic defense that causes turnovers is the key for them. I like them to keep winning at home vs the Wildcats, in what should though be a close one. PICK: GOLDEN GOPHERS.

Missouri vs BAYLOR. The Bears love to throw the ball, and they do it fairly well; Coach Art Briles is developing this team. But Mizzou loves to throw the ball too, and they do it better. PICK: TIGERS.

NOTRE DAME vs Pittsburgh. I know, I know, Pitt got bumped off last week. But I think it was because they were looking ahead to this game. Now it's here, and I suspect they'll have enough focus and firepower on offense to pull off an upset agains tthe improved, but still a bit erratic Irish. UPSET PICK: PANTHERS.

OKLAHOMA vs Nebraska. Just too many weapons on the Sooner offense for the Huskers to keep up with them. PICK: OKLAHOMA.

OKLAHOMA STATE vs Iowa State. The Cowboys fell to Texas, but no disgrace there; they competed well. This is a good OSU team. Iowa State meanwhile got blasted at home last week by A&M. PICK: COWBOYS.

SOUTHERN CAL vs Washington. The only question is how bad the Trojans will maul the Huskies; it will be bad, but I don't think they'll put up 69 again. PICK: SOUTHERN CAL.

TCU vs UNLV. This is a tricky game for the Frogs, still harboring BCS ambitions, but on the road against a team that almost upset BYU last week. The key, though--the Horned Frogs have a tough, tough defense, and that will pull you through in "trap" games. PICK: TCU.

Texas vs TEXAS TECH. I know, I know, Texas has done very well, Colt McCoy is outstanding, the Longhorns have navigated a very tough schedule so far masterfully. And I know, Tech hasn't been here before, they've in the past lost games against teams like this, etc. But did you see the machine-like precision with which Tech played last week vs Kansas? OU only beat Kansas by 14, at home. Tech blasted them by 42, on the road. This Tech team is different. They're fast, but they're bigger, and tougher, and more mature. UPSET PICK: RED RAIDERS.

Utah vs NEW MEXICO. The Utes are unbeaten, and another possible BCS-buster. This game could be tough--New Mexico has a tough defense, and will be at home. But I think the Utes will find a way. PICK: UTAH.