Saturday, January 5, 2008

NFL Playoff wild card weekend picks

Unfortunately I couldn't pick last week's games--I was on the road.
I'm not too far away from .500 this year. Let's see if, in the playoffs, I can pick up the pace.

SEATTLE 3 over Washington. PICK: SEAHAWKS. A lot of folks are picking the 'Skins, due to the fact they elevated their play late in the season and have momentum. True, Seattle lost 2 of their last 3 regular season games. But how meaningful were those? Not very. I like the Seahawks--they're at home, where they're tough; and although Todd Collins has played well, I'd rate Matt Hasselbeck higher. Look for the Seahawks to cover--winning by, perhaps, a 20-13 type score.

PITTSBURGH 2.5 over Jacksonville. PICK: JAGUARS. I know--this is a challenging pick. The Jaguars beat the Steelers, in Heinz Field, in December. Can they really do it twice in a row, within the span of a month? Yes. They have the running game and the consistent QB play to do it; and the Steelers haven't played that well in the 2nd half of the season and won't have Willie Parker. Jags 21-17.

TAMPA BAY 3 over NY Giants. PICK: BUCCANEERS. People have been discounting the Bucs all year. But here they are in the playoffs, and with a home game. I like Garcia to get it done vs the Giants' secondary, and the Bucs' tough cover 2 to slow down the Giants just enough. It'll be very close: Bucs 24, Giants 20.

SAN DIEGO 10 over Tennessee. PICK: CHARGERS. The Lightning Bolts are rolling; the Titans are banged up. Jeff Fisher's teams never quit. But I like the Chargers to win this one decisively at home. Chargers 34, Titans 20.