Sunday, January 6, 2008

"Change"

New York Times political writers point out this morning the overuse of the word "change":
"The graphic for the Democratic debate on Saturday night tallied 65 mentions of the word “change.” Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton used it 23 times, John Edwards 14 and Senator Barack Obama 12. Here’s one segment by Senator Clinton, who jammed the word in there several times in a few minutes:

"I want to make change, but I’ve already made change. I will continue to make change. I’m not just running on a promise of change, I’m running on 35 years of change. … So you know I think it is clear that what we need is somebody who can deliver change.”


Remember this fundamental: "change", by itself, in and of itself, is meaningless.
Nor does a principled conservative believe that change is always good.
A principled conservative must ask: "change"...for what? To what?