Thursday, August 21, 2008

Some nerve

Good grief--Barack Obama goes on the attack today, on this point:

"Somebody asked John McCain, 'How many houses do you have?' And he said, 'I'm not sure, I'll have to check with my staff,'" Obama said with a tone of incredulousness at an outdoor event here. "If you don't know how many houses you have, then it's not surprising that you might think the economy is fundamentally strong," he said. "But if you're like me, and you got one house, or you are like the millions of people who are struggling right now to keep up with their mortgage so they don't lose their home, then you might have a different perspective."

The McCain team meanwhile responded:

"We're delighted to have a real estate debate with Barack Obama," said spokesman Brian Rogers, adding that the press should focus on Obama's house. "It's a frickin' mansion. He doesn't tell people that. You have a mansion you bought in a shady deal with a convicted felon."

I would have added that, as I recall it, Michelle Obama had a job with a Chicago health care facility recently that paid her over $200,000 per year. Have the Obamas given away all their riches to help the poor? Not that I recall. When they have, they can lecture others on their wealth and their responsibilities.