Sunday, August 19, 2007

The "O" factor for Obama

So we're reminded today that one of Barack Obama's biggest supporters is none other than Oprah Winfrey (via Drudge), and very soon she's to hold a huge star-studded fund-raiser for the Illinois senator at her Hollywood mansion. And don't think that Oprah isn't excited about her possible influence on the campaign. Quote: "My money isn't going to make any difference," Winfrey told her fellow chat-show host Larry King. "My value to him, my support of him is probably worth more than any other cheque that I could write."

Well, her book club has been influential in promoting books, and she's hawked other consumer items somewhat successfully. Can she really influence the way people (especially her core constituencies, women and blacks) vote? I wonder. Maybe.