Saturday, October 20, 2007

A crucial moment in the presidential campaign for the Mayor

...and he just may have come through big time.
He made a major address to social conservatives today. He said things like this: "Mr. Giuliani spoke with a tone of humility, saying at one point: “I come to you today as I would if I were your president, with an open mind and an open heart, and all I ask is that you do the same. Please know this, you have absolutely nothing to fear from me.” His speech, which was frequently interrupted by applause, was peppered in the latter half with assurances that he would work to ensure that people of faith were not banished from the public square, to reduce abortion and increase adoptions, to appoint strict constructionist judges and to protect school choice, an important issue to many evangelicals. “I’ll continue to extend my hand to you,” he concluded, “and I hope you’ll take it.”

This may go down as a similar moment to that enjoyed by John F. Kennedy in 1960.
Then, many doubted that America would elect a Catholic president. But Kennedy, in a speech to a group of Protestant ministers in Houston, assured them that he was simply a presidential candidate who happened to be Catholic. It helped make him president. We'll see how this speech works out for Mr. Giuliani. Apparently even those who still oppose him were impressed by his speech.