Saturday, May 24, 2008

The morality of Gore Vidal

Who would want to celebrate this man, who is often identified as a "celebrated" author, after reading the below, I can't imagine. Entire article is here.

"The author and screenwriter Gore Vidal, one of the last giants of an American literary scene that included Norman Mailer, Truman Capote and Joseph Heller, has admitted that he may once have fathered a love child, but refused to be part of her upbringing because he had paid for the mother to have an abortion...In a wide-ranging interview in today's Independent on Sunday New Review magazine, he addresses rumours that he fathered a child in the 1950s – at first denying the suggestion, but then seeming to confirm it. "Possibly. I don't believe so," he replies when asked if the rumours are true. "The father was either me or a German photographer. I believe the mother is dead. The child was a girl. Every Christmas I would receive a picture of them all around the tree, and there's the little girl looking like me. I could have a daughter, yes."Asked why he has made no attempt to contact her, he replies: "I sent her mother money for an abortion. Which she used to go to Detroit, where she found a rich man."