Thursday, May 1, 2008

Bellying up to the sports bar: NHL Playoffs

Here, my favorite team is the Detroit Red Wings, and they look to advance to the conference finals with a win tonight.

What I've found interesting in watching the NHL postseason this year--and really I've noticed it for several years--has been pinpointing a change the league has made for the better recently. No, I'm not referring to the fact that fighting has been so greatly reduced. Rather, I'm referring to the more-continuous play you see now.

I used to follow hockey closely in the 1970s, when I was a kid. One thing I didn't like about it then was how slowly sometimes the game would move. Goalies would save slap shots, but then hold onto the puck, even if there was no enemy player bearing down; the resulting face-off was deemed safer. Players would "freeze" (that is, hold) pucks against the boards on the sides, or behind the nets...yet more face-offs.

But now, goalies can get a penalty if they hold on to the puck for no reason. And referees won't blow the whistle if opposing players jam for the puck along the boards. It makes for more continuous, moving play, and makes for a better game.

Many fans are missing out on exciting stuff. NHL hockey is much better now. Now, though, the league has to get a better TV contract. Having most of its playoff games on Versus just won't cut it.