Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday musings...

Well, the state of Michigan has had some tough times lately--high unemployment, job loss, an endless winter. But the Michigan State Spartans basketball team sure has given fans there a boost.
I too wondered if they could beat powerful Connecticut this past Saturday. But I thought MSU out-hustled them, out-quicked UConn to the ball. They deserved that win. The Spartans will be underdogs again tonight. My head says North Carolina should win--so much talent and explosiveness. But I don't know that I'd be too anxious to bet against Michigan State, their momentum, and their fans...

Sad news--Farrah Fawcett is 62 years old and apparently near death, due to cancer.
Are the 1970s really that far away? I guess so...

As for this North Korean missile launch, I gotta say--it seems to me Mr. Obama's plea for action to come from the UN to "punish" North Korea, and then his musings that wouldn't it be wonderful to have a world without nuclear weapons, express weakness and naivete.
This world will never be without nukes. The science and the know-how is out there--you can't put the genie back in the bottle. There will always be a danger of rogue groups or aggressor states getting nukes, and threatening others with them. Therefore we and other nations will always have to possess nuclear weapons, as a form of deterrence.
And hoping for strong action from the UN is akin to believing in the tooth fairy.