Monday, September 17, 2007

Outrage of the day

Barry Manilow won't appear on "The View" because the show dares to have the conservative Elisabeth Hasselbeck as one of its hosts. Barry: ""I strongly disagree with her views. I think she's dangerous and offensive. I will not be on the same stage as her."

Sigh. I don't care who appears or doesn't appear on "The View." Barry Manilow has every right to refuse to appear on any TV show he wishes, and instead to go off and contemplate his glory days of singing "Mandy" and "I Write the Songs." So why is this an outrage? Because, to be blunt, Manilow's being so stupid. Hasselbeck is one conservative voice among--what? 4 or 5 other women on that show? It's terrible to have even one (and as far as I can tell, a rather mainstream) conservative represented (albeit outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1)? Please.

What's outrageous is the lack of thought some people exhibit.