Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What to do with the shoe-thrower

The man who threw his shoes at President Bush could be facing jail time:

"Leading criminal lawyer Ali Ahmed Mansour said Iraqi law allows for up to two years in prison for anyone who publicly insults a foreign state, an international organization or a foreign country's head of state."

Here's the thing: I think what this man did was wrong--it was rude and insulting, and of course President Bush didn't deserve to be subjected to such behavior.

But I also don't think this foolish shoe-tosser should go to jail for this. I suspect what he did arose from his political opinions (objectionable as those may be). Let him be publicly condemned, but I don't want him going to jail for a political act that in the end didn't hurt anyone.

Update: I note that President Bush's view seems to be somewhat similar.