Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Re: NR endorses Romney

Some e-mailers, in response to my post of yesterday, point out that NR has endorsed candidates in the Republican primaries before--including Pat Buchanan in New Hampshire in 1992, and Phil Gramm in 1996. And of course the editors would never have made this endorsement unless they believed Romney was conservatives' best choice.

I'm not sure NR is correct that Romney is the best choice; I (and I noted that Ed Morrissey at Captains Quarters yesterday indicated he'd agree) am not sure that a nomination of Rudy Giuliani would necessarily tear apart the conservative coalition. BUT...

As NR pointed out in its editorial, good conservatives can disagree with each other, and remain good conservatives. And if Mitt Romney does in fact win the GOP nomination, I would certainly support him over Hillary Clinton in a heartbeat, and I think all good conservatives should do the same. We'll see how this plays out.