Saturday, January 17, 2009

At the sports desk: NFL conference championship game picks

Again, I went 1-3 last week. Let's see if I can do better:

Philadelphia 2 over ARIZONA. PICK: CARDINALS. Well, I've picked against Arizona twice now in the playoffs, and they've burned me twice. Yes, most are picking Philly in this game. And their experience will help them. But the Cardinals are tough at home; they've discovered a running game; Kurt Warner has been here before, don't forget--he's won a Super Bowl; and the Cardinals' defense is forcing turnovers. They're hot. They've caught lightning in a bottle. I know, seems hard to imagine--but start practicing saying it--the Arizona Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl.

PITTSBURGH 4 over Baltimore. PICK: RAVENS. These two teams have played twice. Both were tough, hard-hitting, conservatively-played games that could have gone either way. I expect more of the same this Sunday. But this time, I expect the Ravens to come out on top--the odds simply favor that defense this time making a play to win the game, the play that's barely eluded them twice so far this season. Not this time.