Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Voices of moderation and toleration (contd)

A member of a California theatrical organization made a donation to a group seeking passage of California's Prop 8--you know, the one that banned gay marriage in California. The guy's donation became public. Those within the organization who opposed the proposition are, well, not happy:

" There's a great degree of hue and cry over getting Mr. Eckern fired,"
Whitty wrote. "I've searched my soul about this. I'm instinctively not
comfortable with the idea of his dismissal, though my activist side
still whispers, 'Punish!' "I fear for what Mr. Eckern's dismissal would say about theater: that
there's only room for the pro-gay crowd. In a way, if we only allow
people we agree with, if we only allow people who share a broad
sympathy for the human condition, then we become one of those dreaded
fantasy 'elites.' "

Read the whole thing. And you wonder why some talk of liberal "fascism"...