Saturday, November 8, 2008

At the sports desk: NFL picks

I was only 6-8 last week; I'm 66-60-4 for the year so far.
On to this week:

ATLANTA 1 over New Orleans. PICK: FALCONS. They've been very good at home, covering pretty much every game in the Georgia Dome. Plus I think the Saints will miss Reggie Bush, while the Falcons will keep running it vs the shaky Saints D.

Carolina 9.5 over OAKLAND. PICK: PANTHERS. Kinda hard to like the Raiders after last week's truly pitiful performance. And Carolina's D is even better than Atlanta's.

HOUSTON pick 'em vs Baltimore. PICK: TEXANS. I know--no Matt Schaub for Houston. But Sage Rosenfels is capable, and I still like the way that offense and Andre Johnson are developing.

Jacksonville 6.5 over DETROIT. PICK: JAGUARS. Yes, I know, some internal dissension in Jagsland between Coach Del Rio and LB Mike Peterson. But it seems likely today that the Lions will have to start Daunte Culpepper, who literally has been with the team for less than a week; and the Lions are weak in stopping the run, and the Jags still have Taylor and Jones-Drew.

MIAMI 8.5 over Seattle. PICK: DOLPHINS. If I recall right, Seattle still will be without Matt Hasselbeck; they've struggled mightily without him. Meanwhile, the Dolphins are aggressive, on a roll, and at home.

MINNESOTA 2.5 over Green Bay. PICK: PACKERS. Green Bay could have, probably should have, won last week on the road at Tennessee. They have a history of playing well in the Metrodome. I think Aaron Rodgers can continue that tradition, and that the Pack D will hold Adrian Peterson in check.

NEW ENGLAND 3.5 over Buffalo. PICK: BILLS. Just as was the case last week in Indy for the Pats, this game will be conservatively played on both sides, given the nature of both teams' styles and QBs. Turnovers will be the most important thing here, and I have a hunch Buffalo's going to get more than they give up.

NY JETS 9 over St. Louis. PICK: RAMS. Not to win; Favre will pull this one out. But 9 points for the improving but hardly awesome Jets just seems like too much to me.

PHILADELPHIA 3 over NY Giants. PICK: GIANTS. I know, the Eagles are healthier than they've been in a while, they won on the road last week...but: the Giants have played with a purpose most of this season. Did you see the physicality of that win of theirs vs the Steelers? I love that Giants D--and it'll be there in Philly.

PITTSBURGH vs Indianapolis. Right now there's no line on the game due to injury concerns.
Still--PICK: STEELERS. I just think they'll run the ball vs Indy, whoever is at QB; and that defense will slow the Colts down.

SAN DIEGO 15 over Kansas City. PICK: CHIEFS. Not to win; but the Chiefs are improving, as last week's close loss to the Bucs showed, and 15 points is a whole lot to give to a 3-5 Chargers bunch. I wouldn't do it...

Tennessee 3 over CHICAGO. PICK: TITANS. I think I'm done picking against the Titans; they always prove me wrong. I like their defense in the matchup with perhaps a banged-up Kyle Orton.

ARIZONA 9.5 over San Francisco. PICK: CARDINALS. Hey, they're really good at home; they've shown that time and time again.